Monday, 30 July 2012

A Promising Olympic Showdown: Djokovic vs Roddick

After a (moderately) swift wiping out of Fabio Fognini, 6-7 6-2 6-2, Novak Djokovic is set to play American Andy Roddick in the second round of the Olympics, London 2012. Upon victory, the Serb, who carried the flag for Serbia in the opening ceremony of the Olympics, said "I haven’t played an official match since Wimbledon, so it took me a set and a half to really get into the rhythm and obviously the rain delay affected the game and I wasn’t sharp enough after it... Fognini made some great winners and he was a set up. Then I had to be really focused for each game, try to break him and the second and third sets were really going my way". Roddick, who competed in the Olympics in 2004, might need to get his thinking cap on before his match against the Serb who won bronze in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The American said "tennis is only a small part of this event and I’m happy that I got asked to come". Two great players to face each other so early in a competition... it's game on.

2 comments :